Thursday, April 8, 2010

Definition of "Pain"

Pain (pn)

n.
1. An unpleasant sensation occurring in varying degrees of severity as a consequence of injury, disease, or emotional disorder.
2. Suffering or distress.
3. pains The pangs of childbirth.
4. pains Great care or effort: take pains with one's work.
Synonyms: pain, ache, pang, smart, stitch, throe, twinge
These nouns denote a sensation of severe physical discomfort: abdominal pain; aches in my leg; the pangs of a cramped muscle; aspirin that alleviated the smart; a stitch in my side; the throes of dying; a twinge of arthritis. Definition provided by; www.thefreedictionary.com/pain

Arthritis is in with the definition of "pain." Yet why do I feel that because I don't have phyical deformaties, people over look just how painful arthrtitis really is. It's a challenge. When people ask me "so, what does it feel like..." I don't always respond honestly. Why?

1. The person won't believe me anyways so I say..."it sucks but most days I feel fine, I can deal with it." I can read their face, and their face is saying, there is no way it is that bad, you must not have a high tolerence for pain. I hate that I cave and that I'm not honest but it annoys me even more that when they ask that question they already have their mind made up on the issue.

2. When a sincere person asks, I am much more truthful and I use examples. "It's very painful, I have a hard time squeezing the hair gel out of the tube, I have to use my knees, and I can't walk Kaia (my black lab) alone most days because I can't grasp her leash, and some days walking bare foot isn't even an option."

3. What I want to say is..."it F-ing Sucks! Every morning you wake up feeling anxious, not knowing what the day will be like, what limitations you may have today." What I want to say is, "Some days you'll be feeling so fine you'll forget that you have RA then in the middle of the day a flare up comes and spoils it all!" What I want to say is..."The pain can be so strong that the only way I can discribe the pain is by the tears coming down my face."

But, we never really say what we are feeling now do we. The truth hurts, that's why we lie.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate, both of my daughters have RA. They are 8 and 4. My older one has more aches and pains than my younger one, and it hurts me inside to see them in pain. I can't imagine what it must be like. But I do have plenty of empathy, God bless you!

April 8, 2010 at 9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As painful as that may have been to write, thanks for sharing. It's nice to look through a window of honesty into someone's soul.

April 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger kate. said...

I was so worried that this post would be too harsh. And the response has been so encouraging. I hope your girls are feeling strong, I may have RA but I definitely live an active and fulfilled life and so do your girls, I'm sure!
Thanks again, you all have made it much easier for me to be open and honest.

April 9, 2010 at 1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate as one of your best friends, I can tell you that anyone who knows you, knows that you are not exaggerating the pain. It kills us all to watch our friend in pain, and to know there is little we can do. :( I love that you do your best to try not to let it effect your life. You are a wonderful inspiration, and I pray for you everyday.

-Kelly

April 13, 2010 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

what an accurate description! i hardly ever tell people how it really is, because i don't think they believe me.

May 7, 2010 at 2:16 PM  
Anonymous kate said...

Jodi, thank you for reading and I'm glad you can relate to me! It helps me to know that others feel the same way, and that I'd not alone in this crazy world or RA. Hope you're doing well.

May 19, 2010 at 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home