Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Going off all Meds


I was encouraged to write this blog to help others whom are going through the same situation that I am. I also wanted to create a place where I can express myself and how my chronic disease affects me. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, please feel free to leave comments.

It's official; I have been off all my meds for 12 days! I was taking a Humeria shot every week along with methotrexate and a regular painkiller twice a day. I am so nervous to see how my body is going to respond.

I became immune to my drugs before and it was awful. I needed assistance with walking, dressing, and doing my hair. My husband saw me at my all time low, but he never judged me or made me feel bad for needing him soo much during that time. He was amazing during that time, he thought of things before I even realized I needed it. Like waking up with toothpaste already on my toothbrush, and having water with my pills on the night stand.

Now we are at a point where we want to start our own family. We made appointments with my Rheumitologist and OBGYN to ensure that everyone is on the same page and what is going to be best for the baby and me. We were so relieved to learn that both of my doctors had the same stance on the issue. (note: there has been not enough evidence proving that Humeria and Enbral are unsafe during pregnancy).
However, we are starting this process on a more conservative side, getting off all meds for three months before we start trying.

Today, I am feeling pretty strong, with only a few flare ups areas. I will continue to go about my day as usual and hope that each day I will continue to be strong.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was devistated when I found out at age 28 that I have RA. I wish I could say that I didn't know, but I always did. I tried to play it off as, just a kluz and hurt myself again. then I started to not be able to get up in the morning. Forget about going for a walk.

I allowed myself a year of extreme pain and misery, because I was to scared to face what was really going on.

I will be getting married this summer and we were planning on getting pregnant right away. However, the pain was so bad that I started an intensive treatment using IV drugs. Thus, committing my body to a two year study. I am unable to have kids until sometime in 2012 and I will be over 30.

I am five months into treatment and increasing getting better. My joint count went from 80%-90% to 30-40%. The test drug just was approved and I don't have any side affects. Other than being on Predisone for eight months and massive weight gain.

I work out about 4-6 times a week and feel better afterward. But the weight loss is slow.

I wish you the best with your pregnancy and I constantly worry about starting my family.

For a person that cannot endure pain; I feel that my body has already placed me in hell and back.

April 8, 2010 at 10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine what you are going through. To the previous poster, all I can say is to continue with your meds to get strong enough for starting a family. I think the early 30's are a good time to start a family, and you should not let age deter you from your dreams. And if you end up not being able to carry a child, there are many children who would be lucky to have you care for and love them. Just as you hurt and have needs, so do they. It could be an amazing thing for you both if adoption becomes your answer. But don't give up, and take it one day at a time... just as your body doses it out.

April 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM  
Blogger kate. said...

I too got asked to be a part of a drug study, after I had become ammune to my IV infussions. Part of me wanted to do the study but I had already been off drugs for so long that I couldnt run the risk of not responding once again to another drug. I lost a ton of weight, weight I didnt have to loss and walking was a huge struggle so I opted for Humeria rather than the study.

But it's funny b.c in the begining I did the same thing; you get this gut/intution that something is wrong and you know it is, you just try to buy some time till you're ready to take it on. But it sounds like you are doing a so much better, being happy and healthy will help you feel both physically and mentally stronger. I hope all continues to go well :)

Thank you BOTH for your comments!

April 20, 2010 at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home