Monday, March 8, 2010

Saying NO, is easier said than Done!


I love kids, I love acting like a kid. My nieces, nephews, and cousin’s are a BIG part of my life. Over the weekend it was my nieces 6th birthday party held at a gym. With 15 six year olds running around things got wild! My sister asked me if I would conduct some games for them. So we did, Simon says, red light green light, and tunnel tag. It was a blast and I surprised myself with how mobile I was! I made sure I was doing activities than mainly involved my feet, not my wrist.


As the evening died down, so did the kids. Then it was "hold me." I hate when my nieces and nephews ask me that :( I want to pick them up and squeeze them tight, but I can't without inflicting pain. If I start by kneeling on the floor and wrap my arms around them, then I can pick them up. However, if I'm standing and I have to lift them up--no way. When I have to say "no, I'm sorry I can't," the kids are only disappointed for a second, and their off to a new idea! But for me...it makes me feel bad. Some times I cave, and say "sure I'll hold you!" Like I did yesterday, and today I'm left with a flared up left wrist. I'll be wearing my wrist wraps all day today.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dale Alison said...

Best of luck to you, Kate.

I, too, was diagnosed with R.A. when I was 20. That was some 35 years ago. Fortunately for me, I had several years of remission. But the past 10 years have been an adventure.

I live in Burlington and I'm a patient at University Hospitals in Iowa City. Should you ever need advice, feel free to give me a shout.

March 9, 2010 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger kate. said...

Thanks Dale! I really hope that with pregnancy I'll go into remission (fingers are crossed). But I'm not planning on that happening, if I've learned anything from RA it's that it has a mind of it's own! lol. I hope you are feeling well and staying head strong, take of your self! And I'm always up for advice :)

March 11, 2010 at 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Angie said...

Kate, this makes me cry. I had no idea that asking you to play games was hard on you that day. You should never be afraid to say "no" and never feel guilty. Your help with the games and activities at Isabela's party was so appreciated, and all the kids said it was the best party ever! Thank you:)

April 19, 2010 at 10:12 PM  
Blogger kate. said...

I wouldnt change a thing about that day, I had a blast! Those girls of yours mean everything to me :)

April 20, 2010 at 3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the pregnancy!! I went into remission with both pregnancies and my rhuematologist said it is very common to do so !! The hard part for me began after the baby was born, trying to breast feed as long as possible while being off meds and taking care of an infant!! Dressing/diapering and sometimes just picking the baby up are difficult, & guilt sets in!! I survived 4 months after birth being off my meds and did suffer some permanent damage to my left wrist, but I did it, & so can you !!! You will have many difficult decisions to make, but the end result is so worth the pain & stress!!!Good luck

May 4, 2010 at 8:03 PM  
Blogger kate. said...

I am really hoping for remission. It may be common however 3 of my friends who have RA did not experience remission, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I did hear that RA comes back stronger than ever after pregnancy, yikes! I guess it's important to just keep your eye on the prize, a child! Thank you for your encouraging words, it helps!!!!

May 4, 2010 at 10:30 PM  
Anonymous Cathy said...

Kate, thanks so much for sharing this blog...I had no idea how tough RA can be...please know that you can be frank with Monte and I at all times. We don't want you to suffer in silence--we want to help you in any way we can. As far as the nieces/nephews, be honest with them too; kids are smarter than we give them credit for. Hang in there and I'm hoping to hear some wonderful news soon! You and Eric will make great parents!

May 6, 2010 at 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home